Alpha Lipoic Acid at a glance*
- Antioxidant that works in every area of the body.
- Improves energy production in the mitochondria.
- Recommended by anti-aging researchers.
- Helps keep small blood vessels healthy.
- Shown to improve diabetic neuropathy.
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Alpha Lipoic Acid with Grape Seed Extract & Bioperine®
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is naturally produced in the body, assisting in the conversion of glucose to energy. Unlike most antioxidants, lipoic acid is considered the “Universal Antioxidant” since it is able to neutralize free radicals in both water and fat. ALA has been researched for reducing complications of diabetes and aging.
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy and Small Vessel Disease
We all have very small blood vessels feeding our nerves. In people with diabetes, the elevated glucose can damage these blood vessels over time, resulting in nerve damage known as diabetic neuropathy. ALA protects these small blood vessels and has been shown to improve nerve function and symptoms in patients with diabetic neuropathy. It is thought that taking ALA at onset of diabetes may prevent some long term complications from small blood vessel disease. Natural production of ALA declines with age.
Research involving Alpha Lipoic Acid shows promise in:*
- Diabetic peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage), both treatment and prevention.
- Diabetic sensory symptoms and nerve deficits improve significantly.
- Diabetic neuropathy improves with lipoic acid, but progresses without lipoic acid.
- Diabetic complications from small blood vessel disease, such as heart, kidneys and small blood vessels may improve.
- Seems to improve insulin sensitivity and blood sugar with diabetes, but not HgA1C.
- Preliminary evidence suggests possible benefit for age-related hearing loss.
- Works within mitochondria (energy production in cells) as a cofactor.
Anti-Aging and Mitochondria
Mitochondria are your cell “power plants” – and every cell has one, at least one. Cells that require lots of energy have many mitochondria, e.g. muscle cells. Mitochondria produce ATP, which are the energy currency of all cells. Alpha lipoic acid works within mitochondria as a cofactor to keep them working at a more youthful level as they produce energy.
Suggested Usage: As a dietary supplement, take 1 capsule daily, preferably with meals, or as directed by your healthcare provider. Many nutritionists and researchers refer to Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) as a“free radical scavenger” based on its fat/water solubility. This allows it to travel to virtually any cell in the body to quench free radicals.* In addition, ALA has been shown to renew the free radical fighting abilities of other vitamins and antioxidants, especially vitamins C and E.* Our ALA 600 mg uses only the highest grade Alpha Lipoic Acid available, and delivers it in doses that have been used in research studies. To further support free radical neutralizing activity, we’ve added 30 mg of Grape Seed Extract and 5 mg of Bioperine®, a potent compound that helps enhance the absorption of ALA.*
Precautions & Safety
Skin rashes have been reported. Since blood sugars may become better controlled, diabetic medications may need to be reduced. Alpha lipoic acid may interfere with treatment of hypothyroid, reducing T3. If you are on thyroid hormone treatment, having a TSH rechecked within a few months of beginning lipoic acid is recommended. Side effects, such as nausea, vomiting, and dizziness have been noted with doses of 1200 mg per day or more, so it is not recommended to exceed 600 mg per day.
Keep out of reach of children.
[widgets_on_pages id=”supplement disclaimer”]