Zinc Plus Lozenges at a glance*
- Cold viruses are common, miserable and last up to 3 weeks!
- Zinc reduces the frequency of colds as well as the duration and severity of colds.
- Zinc is used in hospitals to treat COVID-19!
- Echinacea, Elderberry, Vitamin C and Bee Propolis provide anti-viral support.
Zinc Plus Lozenges
with Vitamin C, Echinacea & Elderberry
Battling viruses through immune support!*
Each winter, we have an epidemic of colds and flu. With COVID-19 and other potential viruses on the horizon, there is no time of year without risk. Countless work days are lost each year due to viral infections, along with miserable symptoms which can last 2-3 weeks.
Although there is no immediate cure for respiratory infections, by supporting your immune system, you can avoid unnecessary delays in recovery. With an estimated 1 billion colds in the U.S. each year, we are all at risk.
What are viral respiratory infections?
Colds, flu, and COVID-19 are caused by viruses in our nose and throat! Runny nose, sore throat, cough, and aches can make life miserable. Most respiratory infections are caused by: Rhinovirus (most common), Coronavirus (4+ strains), Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), Adenovirus, Parainfluenza, and Influenza (A and B). Remember: COVID-19 (a deadly strain of coronavirus) and Influenza can be serious and life-threatening. COVID-19 is often treated with Zinc!
Virus particles attach to the cells of your nose or throat. Once attached, the virus takes over the cell machinery to multiply itself so it can spread to other nearby cells. This is how symptoms can migrate from nose to throat to lungs. Zinc seems to coat the surface of cells, hindering the virus from attaching to those cells. Zinc also activates white blood cells and our cell-based immune responses that fight infection.
How can I use Zinc Plus to lower risks and minimize symptoms?
- Zinc Plus Lozenges BEFORE ILLNESS: Dissolve one in your mouth every morning.
10-15 mg of zinc daily for 5-7 months “substantially reduced the incidence of colds” in children by approximately 36%. Zinc coats the surface of cells and hinders the virus from attaching itself to those cells. Zinc activates white blood cells and our immune system to fight infection. (4)
- Zinc Plus Lozenges AT ONSET OF ILLNESS: Take one every 2 hours, up to 8 daily for 5-7 days.
Research provides “convincing evidence from 13 randomized placebo-controlled trials that taking zinc soon after the onset of symptoms of the common cold significantly reduces both the duration and severity of symptoms”. And, “evidence of zinc’s cold relief properties is conclusive”. (4) Zinc Gluconate lozenges have been shown to:
- Speed recovery, shortening the average duration of cold symptoms by up to 7 days!
- Reduce symptoms of colds, reducing nasal secretions and the need for using tissues!
To receive benefits from zinc, the timing and formulation are crucial! Begin Zinc Plus Lozenges at the very onset of cold symptoms, every 2 hours, up to 8 daily. Since some of the effect is local, in the mouth and throat, allow the lozenge to dissolve slowly. Some alteration of taste is common while using Zinc lozenges.
NOTE: Each Zinc Plus Lozenge contains 12 mg of Zinc from Zinc Gluconate, the most research-proven type of zinc. And remember, Vitamin C is essential for healthy immune function. Don’t be deficient! With 150 mg of Vitamin C, each Zinc Plus Lozenge exceeds the recommended daily requirement.
Other supportive ingredients in Zinc Plus Lozenges:
Echinacea and Elderberry
Echinacea is also believed to reduce symptoms and duration of colds. A summary article in the Lancet concluded that Echinacea purpurea, with a variety of dosages, reduced the odds of developing the common cold by 58% and reduced the duration of colds by 1.4 days, on average.
Elderberry was researched in air travelers in 2016. With 300 mg of Elderberry extract twice daily (the equivalent of 6 lozenges daily), the duration and severity of cold symptoms was reduced by half.
Bee Propolis and Vitamin C
In 2004, Echinacea was combined with bee propolis and vitamin C and was found to reduce the frequency of colds by 86%. Bee propolis is the waxy substance from honeycomb and is known to have antiviral effects. Vitamin C alone, although not a miracle cure, was shown to shorten the duration of colds by 19% when taking 1,000 mg per day.
Don’t forget these other strategies to stay healthy during cold and flu season!
- Vitamin D-3 – Consume 2 caps (4,000 iu) daily for adults, 1 capsule of 2,000 iu daily for children ages 6 and up. Low vitamin D is a major risk factor for respiratory infections (colds and influenza), as well as COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations (50-100% greater risk).(1,2,3)
- Nasal Irrigation & Salt Water Gargles: We believe that having fewer virus particles in our nose and throat is better than more! By using nasal/sinus irrigation with warm salt water 3 times daily, along with gargling, 93% of patients with cold viruses experienced a reduction in symptoms compared to no treatment. Also, those using salt water recovered ~2 days earlier than the control group not using salt water. Rhinovirus, coronavirus, enterovirus, and influenza were all found to have a reduction in viral particles when using this treatment. These individuals not only recovered faster, but fewer household members contracted the virus! NeilMed is a popular brand of nasal irrigation system, which is available at pharmacies.
- Breathe warm, moist air. Respiratory viruses, including Coronavirus (and influenza) are “very sensitive” to high heat and humidity humidity. Dry, cool air is ideal for viruses to thrive in the winter! Think opposite, seek warm, humid air. Steam inhalation, hot showers, and baths may give benefit. Keep room humidity > 43%.
Suggested Usage: Dissolve ONE lozenge in mouth 1 to 2 times daily for ongoing immune support.*
For immediate immune support, dissolve ONE lozenge in mouth every 4-6 hours for up to 7 consecutive days, not to exceed 3 lozenges daily (or take as directed by your nutritionally educated health care provider).
Precautions & Safety
Avoid high intake of zinc long term. Zinc Plus lozenges are formulated with Vitamin C, Echinacea, and Zinc to support the immune system*.
Keep out of reach of children.
Consumerlab.com Echinacea Review accessed 7/26/20
J Fam Practice, Nov 2011, Vol 60, No 11, p 670
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011;(2):CD001364
J of Antim Chemo 1987 20, 893-901
Nutrients 2016, March 18
Med J Aust Oct 17, 1981, p 411
Antimicr Agents Chemother 1984 Jan;25(1):20-4
Arch Ped Adol Med 2004;158:217-21.
Med Hyp. 2020 May 25: 109848
http://infection.lancet.com, Vol 7, July 2007